Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and citizenship enables children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. We encourage our pupils to play a positive role in contributing to the life of the school and the wider community. In so doing, we help develop their sense of self-worth. We teach them how society is organised and governed. We ensure that they experience the process of democracy in school through the election and membership opportunities provided in the ‘Jigsaw’ PSHE Curriculum, Healthy Promoting Schools (HPS), Philosophy for Children (P4C), Values Education and School Council Programme.
Jigsaw PSHE brings together Personal, Social, Health and Economic education, emotional literacy, social skills and spiritual development in a lesson-a-week programme. Jigsaw holds children at its heart and its cohesive vision helps children understand and value who they are and how they fit and contribute to the world.
The aims of PSHE are to enable the children to:
· Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle
· Be aware of safety issues
· Understand what makes for good relationships with others
· Have respect for others regardless of race, gender and mental and physical disability
· Be independent and responsible members of the school community
· Be positive and active members of a democratic society
· Develop self-confidence and self-esteem and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
· Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community